A future Big Sky school???

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

A future Big Sky school???

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:00 pm

It seems as though the Big Sky is entering a fairly stable era. We certainly don't need any more teams. But change is inevitable. In places like Sac State and Portland State, football is a mere budget cut away from extinction. So it's always fun to speculate on who the up and comers will be.

I saw CSU-Pueblo playing Chadron State this weekend. They're really good. They beat UNCU last year and Sam Houston this season. They have a brand new stadium that looks to be easily expandable. And they're in a town of 100,000 in the middle of no where that might be in need of some entertainment options (don't know for sure on that, I've only passed through Pueblo once on the freeway-almost 20 years ago).

http://csupueblotoday.com/sports/divisi ... -realistic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: A future Big Sky school???

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:56 pm

Ha! That stadium already looks better (and fuller) than several in the big sky. But remember, there are 2 FBS schools an easy drive away (Air Force in Colorado Springs, Colorado in Boulder, and now that I think about it, I bet Colorado state in ft Collins is less than a 2 hr drive away...). Seems like a lot for Colorado to support 3 fcs, and 2 FBS schools, both from a recruiting and a fan perspective. But they sure thrashed Sammy though.

grizatwork
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizatwork » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:24 pm

I think it would be cool. I am partial however. My parents are from Pueblo and I still have family there. I would love to take my dad to a game there. It continues to grow and actually has an improving academic reputation.

Bobcat Jim
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Jim » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:30 pm

I really don't like those football stadiums that have a track around it.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:58 am

Better than Sac State, but still has a track.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

SaxCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by SaxCat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:04 am

The biggest roadblock to it being a Big Sky school is its enrollment. CSU Pueblo only has around 4,500 students and Colorado doesn't have the higher education budget to expand that school right now.

To me, the schools that might make sense are CU-Denver or Metropolitan State. Both are trying to convert away from being just commuter schools, have a great downtown campus, however no football facilities and no space to build one. An even more interesting thought would be a joint football team between the schools. the Auraria campus downtown is the biggest higher education campus in terms of enrollment in Colorado (last I heard over 50,000 possibly 70k).

GetEm_Griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GetEm_Griz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:07 pm

It's only a matter of time before they're back...

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:57 pm

I doubt it. Lots of teams that have made the jump have lingered at the bottom. They never move back down. They'd rather get rid of the program.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:07 pm

tampa_griz wrote:I doubt it. Lots of teams that have made the jump have lingered at the bottom. They never move back down. They'd rather get rid of the program.
I'm afraid you're right about that. I don't get that line of thinking, but if you've ever been on UI's board, that's exactly how most of their fans feel about it. In my opinion, UI belongs in the BSC, but I'd be surprised if they ever come back, unless it's part of some overall reorganization of the NCAA, i.e. creating a 5th division for the non-Big 5 FBS schools, and the upper tier FCS programs.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:52 am

John K wrote:
tampa_griz wrote:I doubt it. Lots of teams that have made the jump have lingered at the bottom. They never move back down. They'd rather get rid of the program.
I'm afraid you're right about that. I don't get that line of thinking, but if you've ever been on UI's board, that's exactly how most of their fans feel about it. In my opinion, UI belongs in the BSC, but I'd be surprised if they ever come back, unless it's part of some overall reorganization of the NCAA, i.e. creating a 5th division for the non-Big 5 FBS schools, and the upper tier FCS programs.
John, I think you hit the nail on the head at the end there. I absolutely think we could find ourselves back in a conference with Idaho, I just don't think it will be the FCS Big Sky. Once the whole NCAA shakeup happens, I think you find a whole bunch of fringe teams like Idaho, NM, MSU, UM, EWU - hell even Washington State, Colorado State, etc, etc together in a regional conference. Whatever you'd like to call the level at that point.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:19 am

KittieKop wrote:
John K wrote:
John, I think you hit the nail on the head at the end there. I absolutely think we could find ourselves back in a conference with Idaho, I just don't think it will be the FCS Big Sky. Once the whole NCAA shakeup happens, I think you find a whole bunch of fringe teams like Idaho, NM, MSU, UM, EWU - hell even Washington State, Colorado State, etc, etc together in a regional conference. Whatever you'd like to call the level at that point.
I could see the others, but not Washington State, they are already a part of the big 5.

grizatwork

Post by grizatwork » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:22 am

KittieKop wrote:
John K wrote:
This is about right. I think you will have the big power 5 conferences and then everyone else will reorganize into a second level. All the teams that moved up in the past 15 years will be there and then we will have the choice to combine with them. I think Washington state is safe, because they will go with the pac 12. Everyone else will figure out how to get along.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:34 am

Already NCAA Division 1, WAC (WAC dropped football)
33K enrollment
Regionally aligned
Appear to be planning to add football, http://utahvalley360.com/2014/08/21/uvu ... -explains/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Already have very nice, new athletic facilities in other sports
ImageImageImage

and, well, they are in Utah -- hottie threads score high
ImageImageImageImage

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Nice find about UVU football. They have been talking about it for a long time. BYU casts a huge shadow though. I wonder if they would have any support. Their basketball team plays in front of a lot of empty seats. But if they do add football, the Big Sky would probably be interested. Wonder how SUU and Weber feel about it.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:27 pm

JDoub wrote:Image
Already NCAA Division 1, WAC (WAC dropped football)
33K enrollment
Regionally aligned
Appear to be planning to add football, http://utahvalley360.com/2014/08/21/uvu ... -explains/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Already have very nice, new athletic facilities in other sports
ImageImageImage

and, well, they are in Utah -- hottie threads score high
ImageImageImageImage
You sold me!! :wink:

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:19 pm

I can turn this into a personal dream and say I too would like to see C-Pueblo and maybe someone else join the BSC as replacements for MSU and um when they leave to join a new western states conference comprised or MSU, um, NDSU, Wyoming, Colorado State, Idaho, Utah State, Nevada, UNLV and maybe Air Force and New Mexico.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:I can turn this into a personal dream and say I too would like to see C-Pueblo and maybe someone else join the BSC as replacements for MSU and um when they leave to join a new western states conference comprised or MSU, um, NDSU, Wyoming, Colorado State, Idaho, Utah State, Nevada, UNLV and maybe Air Force and New Mexico.

I personally like all four Dakota schools and New Mexico State in your new conference along with MSU Billings and drop the financial drain institution of this state. Wyoming, CSU, Idaho, Utah State, Nevada, UNLV and perhaps Air Force would fit us geographically and academically quite well. We'll simply have to wait, I understand, to see what the Power 5 decide to do in the near future.

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:52 am

GetEm_Griz wrote:Image

It's only a matter of time before they're back...
Last I heard Idaho AD, Spear, had basically given up on plans for a new stadium and is pushing to remove all present seats, floor and end walls, dig down and add more seats on each sideline plus bowl seats behind the goal posts and restructure the roof to accommodate the new end walls. Idea is to get to 25,000 plus.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:48 am

Seems like it would be cheaper to build a new facility than to do all of that ... but apparently not.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:04 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:Seems like it would be cheaper to build a new facility than to do all of that ... but apparently not.
You could do that in phases. Seems like a crazy thing to do though.