Montana @ Wyoming

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

09griz
BobcatNation Letterman

Montana @ Wyoming

Post by 09griz » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Can't believe the 2014 season is right around the corner...

I'd be interested to hear what some of the more football savvy Cat fans think.
My Griz have a chance down in Laramie?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana @ Wyoming

Post by allcat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:12 pm

Who?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Go Pokes.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:48 pm

09griz wrote:Can't believe the 2014 season is right around the corner...

Better chance there than @ NDSU, IMO. I'd put you at about 30% probability to beat Wyoming, 20% to beat NDSU. I think it all hinges on your O Line and how quickly they come together. Couple buddies of mine are VERY concerned about the Griz O Line. Sounds like in addition to the NFL caliber players you graduated, you may also be losing another due to grades? Unless you bring any in, it sounds like you're smallish, inexperienced, and not very deep. :shock: :shock:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:54 am

A griz player having issues with grades? This never happens!

Similar to tarheel basketball player attending class and graduating :oops:

GRIZFNZ

Post by GRIZFNZ » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:45 pm

catatac wrote:

Better chance there than @ NDSU, IMO. I'd put you at about 30% probability to beat Wyoming, 20% to beat NDSU. I think it all hinges on your O Line and how quickly they come together. Couple buddies of mine are VERY concerned about the Griz O Line. Sounds like in addition to the NFL caliber players you graduated, you may also be losing another due to grades? Unless you bring any in, it sounds like you're smallish, inexperienced, and not very deep. :shock: :shock:
Good thing we aren't breaking in an untested qb this year.

bigkid
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bigkid » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:33 pm

catatac wrote:

The offensive line is a big unknown right now. I faith in Scott Gragg but the lack of recruiting here is showing. If we go down to Wyoming, are competitive and are in a position to win I'll be happy. We have a good defense, good skill players, and a seasoned quarterback but the offensive line is untested. I don't agree with your %s. IMO we will lose a close one to Wyoming and have a better than 50% chance at ndsu. We'll see soon enough.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:31 pm

bigkid wrote:
catatac wrote:

The offensive line is a big unknown right now. I faith in Scott Gragg but the lack of recruiting here is showing. If we go down to Wyoming, are competitive and are in a position to win I'll be happy. We have a good defense, good skill players, and a seasoned quarterback but the offensive line is untested. I don't agree with your %s. IMO we will lose a close one to Wyoming and have a better than 50% chance at ndsu. We'll see soon enough.
?? You think you'll be over 50% to beat NDSU in their house? That's a tall order.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:54 pm

UM's chance of beating Wyoming is .005%. They have NEVER beaten them and due to Border War proximity (and Bohl being on board) the POKES will be ready for them mark my word. If Wyoming has a lot of turnovers, then they could lose but I bet Wyoming will run power football on them all day and control the clock. UM's OL could be shaky to start the year so I could see JJ getting some INT's or Fumbles as well to seal their fate.

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:39 pm

catatac wrote: it sounds like you're smallish, inexperienced, and not very deep.
I bet that's not the first time griz football players have been told that. :coffee:

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

lakesbison

Post by lakesbison » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:25 pm

Wyoming 24. Um 13 in a snoozefest

GetEm_Griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GetEm_Griz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:52 am

catatac wrote:
bigkid wrote:
catatac wrote:

?? You think you'll be over 50% to beat NDSU in their house? That's a tall order.
Think about it. This isn't the same NDSU team that dominated the FCS the last 3 seasons. It'll be tough to beat them in Fargo, but our chances to beat them this year are huge compared to if the game were played in either of the last 3 seasons. NDSU Loses the majority of their starters, have a new quarterback taking over, new coaches (although they are still using the same system that Bohl used). If there is a year to beat NDSU, this is the best chance anybody has. Kind've similar to 2012 for UM when everyone took their shot at UM when we were down. Yeah, entirely different situations, but I you get my drift.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:41 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:UM's chance of beating Wyoming is .005%. They have NEVER beaten them and due to Border War proximity (and Bohl being on board) the POKES will be ready for them mark my word. If Wyoming has a lot of turnovers, then they could lose but I bet Wyoming will run power football on them all day and control the clock. UM's OL could be shaky to start the year so I could see JJ getting some INT's or Fumbles as well to seal their fate.
I agree. The deck is stacked in favor of Wyoming. 1) the schollies, and 2) defensive-minded Bohl being on board now. It's hard to recall a time when his Bison did NOT beat a BCS team.

Not saying an upset can't happen, but UM will need to be flawless and also be helped out by some sort of good fortune.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

GetEm_Griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GetEm_Griz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:48 am

Cledus wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:UM's chance of beating Wyoming is .005%. They have NEVER beaten them and due to Border War proximity (and Bohl being on board) the POKES will be ready for them mark my word. If Wyoming has a lot of turnovers, then they could lose but I bet Wyoming will run power football on them all day and control the clock. UM's OL could be shaky to start the year so I could see JJ getting some INT's or Fumbles as well to seal their fate.
I agree. The deck is stacked in favor of Wyoming. 1) the schollies, and 2) defensive-minded Bohl being on board now. It's hard to recall a time when his Bison did NOT beat a BCS team.

Not saying an upset can't happen, but UM will need to be flawless and also be helped out by some sort of good fortune.
It'll be interesting to see how this game shakes out. Wyoming won't be the juggernaut that NDSU is/was immediately since Bohl will need a few years to install his system and get the players he needs. Being the first game of the year against Wyoming is an advantage for Montana, as Wyoming will be learning a new system on the fly, so to speak. Like you said, Montana needs to take advantage of any mistakes Wyoming makes and not throw them away. Hopefully the Griz will pull out the "W" heading into week 2.

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:14 am

GetEm_Griz wrote:
Cledus wrote:

It'll be interesting to see how this game shakes out. Wyoming won't be the juggernaut that NDSU is/was immediately since Bohl will need a few years to install his system and get the players he needs. Being the first game of the year against Wyoming is an advantage for Montana, as Wyoming will be learning a new system on the fly, so to speak. Like you said, Montana needs to take advantage of any mistakes Wyoming makes and not throw them away. Hopefully the Griz will pull out the "W" heading into week 2.
I hate to say it but I think the griz win this one. The eligibility of their starting tackle from billings will be important to their season though, It will make their fairly weak o-line into a pretty good one.

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

ddlalum

Post by ddlalum » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Griz: 27
Pokes: 24

NDSU: 34
Griz: 24

Place your bets :-)

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:01 pm

GetEm_Griz wrote:
catatac wrote:
bigkid wrote:
catatac wrote:

My Griz have a chnance down in Laramie?
Think about it. This isn't the same NDSU team that dominated the FCS the last 3 seasons. It'll be tough to beat them in Fargo, but our chances to beat them this year are huge compared to if the game were played in either of the last 3 seasons. NDSU Loses the majority of their starters, have a new quarterback taking over, new coaches (although they are still using the same system that Bohl used). If there is a year to beat NDSU, this is the best chance anybody has. Kind've similar to 2012 for UM when everyone took their shot at UM when we were down. Yeah, entirely different situations, but I you get my drift.
I think they're the classic example right now of reloading not rebuilding. All those backups have gotten tons of reps, playing 4 extra games and getting 20 extra practices every year, and they just flat out have a winning program. That defense is insane, and they will push the Griz O Line around IMO. I guess I could be wrong but I don't think so. I'd put a wager down on it straight up if ya wanna.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:52 am

I may be way off on this, but it seems like most FCS wins over FBS teams come on the first weekend of the season. That is the biggest plus for UM in this game. Next is the UW coaching change. Wyoming with a new coach on the first weekend is an opportunity for UM. The biggest threat is Wyoming's defense, which is among the best in the MWC. UM's strengths going into the game are QB experience and skill players on offense. Its weaknesses are a defense that has underperformed the past two seasons running and an atypically less imposing offensive line.

If UM can get off to a good start and get Wyoming to start second-guessing its new coach, and get some breaks the game could swing to the Griz. If this was a 2000s era Griz team I'd give them a better shot at this, but they've been up-and-down the past four years, so it's going to be tough. UW 20, UM 13.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:04 pm

You can make things look good on paper, but I don't know how you can make UW's defense look bad going into game 1. Here are the projected starters.

DT 50 Puletasi sr. 6'3 251 2013 starter, 47 tackles, 10 for loss, 4.5 sacks
DT 95 Mertano sr. 6'5 285 2013 starter, 34 tackles.
DE 55 Yarborugh jr. 6'3 251 2013 starter, 89 tackles, 12tfl, 6.5 sacks
LB 21 Nzeocka sr. 6'3 239 2013 starter, 101 tackles, 10 tfl
LB 1 Stanton sr 6'0 246 2013 starter, 134 tackles, 10 tfl
LB 45 Wacha so. 6'1 214 2013 11 game starter, 88 tackles
CB 20 Burns sr. 5' 10 186 2013 starter, 61 tackles, 7 breakups, 1 fum recover
CB 14 Finley jr. 5'9 177 Started 1st game. Injury-out for season. Granted Med RS
CB Hayes So. 5'9 189. Started 8 games. 36 tackles, 6 breakups
CB 4 Jones sr. 6'0 186. Played in 12 games in 2013. 39 tackles
SA 13 White sr. 6'0 192. Started 1st 6 games. Season ending injury. 28 tackles, 2 forced fumbles. Started 12 games in 2012. 39 tackles.
SA 5 Sampson sr. 6'0 200. Started 1st four games in 2013. Injury ended. 12 tackles, 1 interception.

Any FCS team trying to move against this group is a tough way to make a living. And then you throw in Bohl.

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:14 pm

The griz winning!? Puh-lease. Not going to happen. Go Pokes.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.